201 Second Avenue, S.E.
Decatur, Alabama 35601 

P. O. Box 1469
Decatur, Alabama 35602



© Blackburn, Maloney and Schuppert, LLC
Website development by Red Sage Communications



Firm History

Blackburn, Maloney and Schuppert, founded as the solo law practice of J. Gilmer Blackburn in 1955, was the first law firm to concentrate on Federal and State tax matters in North Alabama. Located in Decatur, Alabama, many of the firm’s first clients were family-owned businesses and area farmers who needed help navigating the complicated tax code.

In the early years of Blackburn, Maloney and Schuppert, the firm became widely known for its focus in the areas of taxation and acquisition of life insurance companies, corporations, and other businesses.

In the early 1980s, the firm expanded to include attorneys Mark Daniel Maloney and Gay Blackburn Maloney, both bringing new areas of expertise to the firm. Mr. Maloney added additional knowledge and experience to the firm’s tax, business, and agricultural law services while Mrs. Maloney expanded the firm’s estate and trust planning and administration services.

The firm officially became Blackburn, Maloney and Schuppert, with the addition of attorney Lynn Belt Schuppert and her husband, attorney Kenneth M. Schuppert, Jr. Mrs. Schuppert continued the firm’s estate and trust planning and administration services. Mr. Schuppert added new legal services in the areas of real estate, corporate, litigation, and commercial transactions.

In the early 2000s, Steven C. Sasser joined the firm to supplement existing services offered and expand the services to include adoptions, landlord-tenant law, and bankruptcy and creditors’ rights, thus allowing the firm to offer more complete services to its clients.

About Our Office Building

By restoring two downtown Decatur buildings, the firm has demonstrated its commitment to preserving the city’s heritage.

The firm’s current office is housed in a historic building on Second Avenue in the heart of the revitalized downtown area. Purchased and renovated in 1988, the building still maintains many of its historic aspects, including the original pressed metal ceiling in the front reception and conference rooms, the metal cornice on the façade, and the round porthole windows that line the side of the building.

Building 3
Building 2
Building 4
Building 5